It’s so interesting how God looks at our heart posture and makes allowances when we ask… especially because He sees the intent of our actions whether we act within or outside the confines of the law. It’s like a paradigm shift. Where pleasing God is paramount and in line with having the Spirit’s Fruit; against which there is no law.
“And we are confident that he hears us whenever we ask for anything that pleases him. And since we know he hears us when we make our requests, we also know that he will give us what we ask for.” — 1 John 5:14-15 NLT
“Solomon loved the Lord and followed all the decrees of his father, David, except that Solomon, too, offered sacrifices and burned incense at the local places of worship. The most important of these places of worship was at Gibeon, so the king went there and sacrificed 1,000 burnt offerings. That night the Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream, and God said, “What do you want? Ask, and I will give it to you!”” — 1 Kings 3:3-5 NLT
Even though Solomon made offerings and sacrifices at local places of worship, He pleased God so much with His heart’s posture and intent that God came to him with a blank cheque offer for him to make any request. It was also a test to see what he’d ask for. And his request pleased God.
In a time where there are so many debates on the right place to worship, way of worship, who worships better etc, Lord, I ask that remind us by Your Spirit of what’s important to You:
• worshipping You in Spirit and in Truth;
• offering ourselves as living sacrifices in view of Your mercies towards us;
• unconforming to the the world’s status quo;
• being transformed by the renewal of our minds;
• being humble, and gentle, patient, understanding of each other’s perspectives, making allowances for each other’s faults;
• being united in faith, growing and coming to such maturity that Christ becomes our center and You become our focus… amongst other things Your Word says.
Give us heart postures that are pleasing to You. Ignite in us the right intent for worshipping and living in obedience to Your Will for us. Give us heart postures and that please You.
And when You ask us to make requests, help us center our requests on Christ’s Body over our individual selves and help us prioritise seeking and being obedient to Your Will over our carnal asks.
Scripture for Further Reading
1 Kings 3:2-10